• 1- 869-466-2998
  • info@sknfa.com

Conaree, Cayon register big wins

Despite finishing the match with nine men, SOL Island Auto Supplies Conaree defeated Elco Ltd. St. Peters 2-0 on Saturday night in the SKNFA National Bank Premier League at the Warner Park. The match was overshadowed with the injury of St. Peters player Zajah Isaac, who suffered a broken ankle resulting from a sliding tackle from Orlando Mitcham in the 84th minute. That play earned Mitcham a straight red card and delayed the match for several minutes, leading to 15 minutes time added on at the end of regulation. That injury seemed to have rocked the St. Peters players as they were unable to cope with the loss of Isaac, despite the fact they had a numerical advantage.

After the game resumed, Errol Oloughlin doubled the lead with a 90th minute strike building on the early lead set by Glenroy Samuel who scored a penalty in the 3rd minute. Conaree’s second red card came shortly after that second goal as captain Mudassa Howe was sent off also with a straight red card for a slide tackle on a St. Peters player. But the damage was already done and despite playing with nine men, Conaree held on to their two goal lead. Coach Alexis Morris of Conaree was pleased with his team’s efforts in getting the three points after a disappointing draw last week. He also was not in agreement with the red cards his two players picked up.

Coach Orville Thompson of St. Peters said the injury to Zajah Isaac, really affected his players for the remainder of the game. In Saturday night’s other match, defending champions Flow 4G Cayon Rockets piled on more misery on Winners Circle Newtown United with a 3-1 win. Two of Cayon’s goals were courtesy of defensive errors by Newtown where the defender passed the ball inadvertently to a Cayon striker who made no mistake in publishing the team from East Basseterre.

Shaquille Pringle was the first to benefit from that gift from Newtown scoring in the 18th minute of play but Yusuf Saunders equalized 10 minutes later. However, Newtown apparently had not learned from the previous mistake and did an identical misplay to Alex Charles of Cayon who notched home the goal in the 49th minute. Evansroy Barnes sealed the deal for the defending champions with an 80th minute strike to make it 3-1 to Cayon. Coach Anthony Isaac of Newtown lamented the poor defensive performance of his team. The cool, calm and collective Coach George Yellowman Isaac of Cayon said his team executed well, which lead to win.


 Caption: Cayon players prepare for their encounter versus Newtown F.C. on Saturday night.

Leave a Reply