• 1- 869-466-2998
  • info@sknfa.com

Village Eke Out Last-Minute Win, Old Road, Conaree Held

A last gasp goal from Joseph Wilkes sealed a dramatic 1-0 victory for Rams Village Superstars
over S-Krave Newtown United on Saturday May 22, 2021 in the SKNFA Premier League at the
Warner Park. The match seemed poised to end 0-0, as both teams battled but failed to find the
back of the net. But when a ball was booted into the 18-yard box late on, and Newtown
defenders failed to clear their lines, Wilkes emerged and rocketed a shot into the roof of the net
in the 4th minute of stoppage time sending his teammates into a wild celebration.

Coach Leroy Liburd of Village spoke about the elation for that last minute win and the effort
they gave in the second half to change the direction of the game. “We made a few adjustments.
We moved some players around in different positions that we thought serve our objective well. It
was a keenly contested game; there weren’t many differences between both teams. I think
Newtown played a better first half, we played a much better second half. We were fortunate in
some instances but in the end, we were good enough to get a 1-0 victory,” Coach Liburd said.

For Coach Earl Jones, he was obviously disappointed with the loss, but was heartened by his
team’s performance. “For me I think we won. You could see clearly that the game was favoring
us but that’s how the game goes. Who scores the most goals win,” Jones said.

This is the second match under Coach Jones since his return to the club and some
commentators suggest the team has improved in performance since. Coach Jones said all he did
was motivated the players to perform better. “I wouldn’t say I did much differently. I just put a
little more energy in the guys,” he said. “Technically we are a really good team, but I believe
some of us we got to work on the mental part of the game and as you can see it was a mental
lapse out there tonight…it’s tough for me I must say…We are down but not out,” he added.

In the night’s other match:
  (halftime score 1- 1) 
Scoring for Old Road 
Philson Wattley 9th min

Scoring for Conaree 
Sylvester Caines 45th min

Old Road struggled all night with injuries with some of their top players such as league leading
scorer Tiquanny Williams, who was subbed off early in the first half. Coach Lester Morris
comments after the match. “My team was basically sticking to the game plan, trying to get
forward, get into the box and looking for their shots and I thought we were equal to it; that’s
how we got our first goal,” Morris said. He said after scoring the first goal, the team relaxed a
bit and strayed away from the game plan. “I think after a while, the injuries started getting to us
and because of that we had to make a lot of substitutions, put guys in some unusual positions
and that is what basically made some of the differences tonight,” he said.

For Conaree Club President Delwayne Delaney, the match was a tough one, but they prevailed.
“I thought we could have gotten that equalizer a bit earlier. That might have given us a little
momentum to get our second goal. But because we had that halftime break that would have
probably allowed Old Road to regroup a bit so that’s why we couldn’t push for that second
goal,” Delaney said. He wished the injured players on the Old Road team speedy recovery but
said this team has work to do on the training ground. “I think we would have not played our
best game and we definitely have to go back on the training pitch and work on some things,”
Delaney added.

All Premier League matches on the weekend were broadcast on the SKNFA
Facebook page and website www.sknfa.com.

CAPTION: Village Superstars players celebrate after Joseph Wilkes scored a last-minute goal
against Newtown United on Saturday May 22 at the Warner Park.